Kickstart My Heart
Smarty Girl's New Collection
Funded on Kickstarter (only took 10 days!) in June 2018
• Brand spankin' new designs: astronauts, vehicles, robots, sloths, narwhals
• Thicker + softer fabric: buttery soft pima cotton made ethically in Peru
• Larger sizes: for girls 1-12 years old
SO. MUCH. NEW.
Kickstarter leggings launched to the public in December 2018 and are for sale here
July 1, 2018: We did it!
Smarty Girl's next collection is funded!
Because you spread the word, it only took 10 days to reach my Kickstarter goal of $15,000.
Together, we raised a total of $17,004 and the new legging collection is in production.
July 30, 2018: Surveys have been sent!
Kickstarter backers, check your inbox for surveys that collect your design, size and mailing address.
Follow on Instagram for a behind-the-scenes glimpse.
Nov. 30, 2018: All leggings have been sent to Kickstarter backers!
If you aren't a backer but want to buy the new leggings, head here.
What is Kickstarter?
Kickstarter is a platform where creative ideas are presented to a group of people then brought to life by their support.
It's called crowdfunding — raising small donations from a crowd of people.
The group supports an idea by pledging money.
If a project's funding goal is met, it's made into a physical product.
Those who pledged money receive the product as a reward.
If a project fails to reach it's funding goal, those who pledged don't pay a thing.
What's with the weird terms?
• Project: the innovative idea (leggings)
• Creator: the person hoping to get their project funded (that’s me)
• Backer: those who pledge money to bring projects to life (that’s you)
• Funding: the money a creator needs to complete their project ($15,000)
• Rewards: limited edition items backers receive (leggings + stickers + activity book)
How does it work?
My campaign ran June 1-30, 2018.
The project was Smarty Girl’s next collection of leggings.
Backers who pledged received leggings as a reward (plus a sticker sheet and activity book).
By pledging, backers essentially pre-ordered leggings.
Tell me more about the rewards.
• Leggings: ethically made pima cotton leggings from Smarty Girl's new collection
• Stickers: Kickstarter-exclusive 4x6” sheet with a sticker from each design in the new collection
• Print-at-home activity book: 6 pages of clever girl power STEM activities that coordinate with the leggings
The first backers received an early bird discount. ALL backers received leggings before the general public. Yay!
Which designs and sizes will be offered?
• Astronauts, Vehicles, Robots, Sloths, Narwhals
• 12-18 months, 18-24 months, 2T, 3T, XS 4/5, S 6/7, M 8, L 10
Where will the leggings be made?
Such an important question (that I feel good about answering).
The leggings were ethically manufactured in Lima, Peru by a factory who shares my commitment to people and the planet.
I founded this company on the principle that my products must benefit all involved.
Kids wear Smarty Girl leggings but they will never, ever make them.
When will my leggings arrive?
Not right away. First, the project must be funded. Then, the leggings must be manufactured.
Kickstarter backers received leggings in November 2018.
Can I not be a Kickstarter backer but still receive leggings?
If you aren't a backer but still want to buy the new leggings, they launched to the public here in December 2018.
How will I choose my legging design and size?
Backers received an email survey that requested shipping address, design and size.
What if you don’t meet your funding goal?
Kickstarter funding is all-or-nothing. Thankfully, I met my goal of $15,000 in only 10 days!
When is my card charged?
If you pledged through Kickstarter, your card was charged in early July 2018.
Why are you doing Kickstarter?
I want to make leggings with darker colored backgrounds.
In order to make dark leggings that are thick and soft, the manufacturer must use a special fabric printing technique. The technique isn’t available unless I increase my order quantity.
So that’s where Kickstarter comes in.
This campaign will allow me to increase my order from the factory AND reach lots of new people AND get Smarty Girl some press!
Can I back your campaign from outside the U.S.? Do you ship internationally?
Yes! Anyone can pledge from anywhere in the world. The only requirement is a major credit card. Kickstarter does not support PayPal.
International shipping adds $13-$26 to your pledge.
U.S. shipping is free and included in the pledge amount.
Can I write a story about you?
It'd make you my new BFF.
So what’s the best case scenario here?
My campaign goes live, you pledge and share with friends, my funding goal is met, the project is a success, I rejoice, the leggings go into production, the factory ships to me, I ship to you 💃🏻
Now just sit back and wait. Then share, share, share!
• Have a question that's not listed? Send an email
• Ready to shop leggings? Head here
• Need more Smarty Girl in your life? See ya on Instagram